Yesterday, Charlie Batch, his wife Tasha, and dozens of Best of the Batch Foundation volunteers collected gifts for children of all ages at the 10th annual “Batch-A-Toys” holiday toy drive.
The event, covered by KDKA-TV, MSN.com and many other media outlets, took place outside in the US Steel Building Plaza.
“I’m always amazed by the generosity of this city and the turnout for our Batch-A-Toys event,” said Charlie, noting that more than 5,000 gifts were collected last year. “Even in years where the weather was incredibly cold, the hearts of Pittsburghers and Steeler fans stayed warm and charitable. We are extremely grateful for the opportunity to make the holidays brighter for so many families.”
Best of the Batch Foundation works with a number of partner, non-profit organizations serving families in Allegheny County to make Batch-A-Toys a reality. Each year, Charlie and his wife, Latasha Wilson-Batch, personally deliver toys and household items – along with smiles and joy – to children and families at the Women’s Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh and Children’s Hospital, and to financially challenged families in Allegheny County.
Since the program started 10 years ago, more than 30,000 toys have been collected and distributed to children. Moreover, household items including dishes, towels, pots and pans, laundry baskets and other family items have been donated to help more than 1,000 families.
This year’s sponsors include Panera Bread, UPMC Health Plan, Mesa, Dunkin’ Donuts and Barnes & Noble.
Additional donation sites throughout the holiday season include:
- Best of the Batch Foundation: 2000 West Street, Munhall 15120 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mon – Fri
- Dunkin Donuts: all regional locations
- Best Buy: Waterfront, Homestead location
- DiCesaro Spine & Sport: 5990 University Boulevard, Moon Plaza, Moon Twp.
- GAP: Waterfront, Homestead and South Hills Village Mall locations
- Goddard School: 301 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh 15222 and 800 Commerce Drive, Moon Twp. 15108
- Lane Bryant: Waterfront, Homestead and Tanger Outlets, 2200 Tanger Blvd #509, Washington, PA
- Park Elementary: Cambria Street, Munhall 15120 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Mon – Fri